Psychotherapy | Counselling | Coaching | Support
Transformational Arts College – Spiritual Psychotherapy Program (Masters-Level Training)
B.A (Hons) University Of Toronto Philosophy, English, Political Science
4th Dan JKA (Japan Karate Association)
Luigi Garde is a multi-disciplined professional Registered Psychotherapist (Qualifying), Karate Coach and Consultant.
Member of good standing, licensed by the College of Registered Psychotherapists in Ontario (CRPO)
Member of Ontario Society of Registered Psychotherapists (OSRP)
Having a background in understanding human behaviours, being able to critically analyze and assess situations, with an empathetic tone, Luigi is able to provide insight in areas from an objective point of view. With 27 years+ of Martial Arts experience, Luigi has developed skills to discern situations using intuition and critical thinking with clarity and wisdom to formulate solutions and strategies for whatever challenge is put forth in front of him, physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually, technologically.
Through the company The Life Elevator, Luigi is able to delegate tasks and marshal his resources to provide solutions for those seeking support in Life. His vision and purpose is to support individuals and help them understand ways they can Elevate aspects of themselves in order to holistically Elevate their Life. With Trauma informed Care as a tenet of providing support, the safety of clients is priority. Being clear and transparent, offering education and awareness with the process of the work will always be at the forefront of support.
The Life Elevator
VISION AND PURPOSE
The Life Elevator’s commitment is to support people’s emotional and mental challenges from day to day life, and provide an objective perspective, strategies, and space to transform experiences.
- The term Psychotherapy is derived from Ancient Greek Psyche (ψυχή meaning “mind; breath; spirit; soul”) and Therapeia (θεραπεία “healing; medical treatment”).
- The Oxford English Dictionary defines it as “The treatment of disorders of the mind or personality by psychological means…”
- Psychotherapy is primarily talk based therapy used to support the treatment of mental, emotional, and spiritual challenges. Psychotherapy occurs when the Registered Psychotherapist (RP) and client enter into a psychotherapeutic relationship where both work together to bring about positive change in the client’s thinking, feeling, behaviour and social functioning. Individuals usually seek psychotherapy when they have thoughts, feelings, moods and behaviours that are adversely affecting their day-to-day lives, relationships and the ability to enjoy life.
- Registered Psychotherapists work with individuals, couples and families in individual and group settings
- In the base level Psychotherapy is an act of talk therapy counselling focusing on the individual’s past to understand the behaviour in the present
- Coaching focuses on recognizing the present behaviour patterns to set them up for the future.
- This can be interchangeable, but the purpose of Therapy and counselling, may not necessarily be Goal oriented (though of course benchmarks and goals to achieve are significant indicators of progress) it is more focused on how the client shows up presently, to unpack past events that give meaning and understanding as to how the behaviour patterns being displayed were developed today.
- Therapy and counselling provide an opportunity to create a greater sense of awareness and safe space to learn about oneself, through empathetic and gentle techniques toward self-efficacy.
- Coaching is a form of support that can be more direct and empowering toward achieving specific goals.
- Coaching is recognizing where you are at currently and working to provide actionable guides and strategies for you to move toward the direction of where you want to be.
- The world of coaching is a new and unregulated system, it all depends on the competency of the coach based on their experiences.
- Psychotherapy and Counselling, in the Province of Ontario, Canada, has a regulatory Body CRPO (College of Registered Psychotherapists of Ontario) and CCPA (Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association) that have guidelines and list of competencies that all licensed and aspiring licensed Therapists and counsellors abide by.
- Psychotherapists assess and treat cognitive, emotional, or behavioural disturbances using various methods and techniques such as talk or experiential therapy. There are various modalities (tools) in psychotherapy. There is also a strong focus on the client-therapist relationship. As such, it’s a good idea to have an initial meeting with a psychotherapist to determine ‘fit’ and to ask them about their specific therapeutic approach. For more information about the regulation of Psychotherapy in Ontario, contact the College of Registered Psychotherapists of Ontario CRPO Seeing a Psychotherapist is not covered by OHIP, but most insurance companies offer coverage (Please check with your insurance to confirm coverage)
- Psychologists assess, diagnose, and treat behavioural and mental conditions. These include psychosis, neurosis, and personality disorders. Psychologists hold PhD’s, which means they have satisfied accumulated years of study on the brain and aspects of psychology. Psychologists can also perform the act Psychotherapy with clients. Seeing a Psychologist is not covered by OHIP, but most insurance companies offer coverage (Please check with your insurance to confirm coverage)
- Psychiatrists are MD’s, medical doctors specifically trained in the assessment, diagnosis, treatment, and care of patients with mental illness or disorders. As physicians, they diagnose and can prescribe medications as part of their treatment options. In Ontario this is the only clinician covered by OHIP.
- In the province of Ontario, Canada, my receipts are claimable through most insurance plans.
- Please confirm with your insurance benefits if Psychotherapy Services are a part of your coverage plan. If you are out of province or outside Canada, check with your insurance company what are the requirements for reimbursement.
- I can provide proof of license and registration documentation if required.
- There is no specific timeline for Psychotherapy. The length of treatment varies and depends on the individual clients needs, life situations, and circumstances
- My services are like a revolving door, meaning whenever you feel there are challenges and situations that you feel you are unable to manage on your own, The Life Elevator’s services are available to provide support, as needed.
- This is something we discuss in our consultation session to help understand your needs, and how I would be able to provide support, and see if we would be a right fit to establish a therapeutic-alliance
- There is Solutions Focused Brief Therapy (SFBT) depending on the case, which can be resolved within 2-5 sessions
- As some cases require challenging old systems of beliefs, modifying behaviour patterns, this cannot be done instantly. Time to understand and integrate what is being shared during sessions is dependent on the active effort of the client to reflect and process what needs to be done
- The Life Elevator’s role is like a GPS, offering a map to understand where you are in your life, strategize a plan to navigate where you want to be, while reminding you that you are in the driver seat of your own life.